If you received a civil traffic citation, you must respond to the court on or before the “Notice to Appear” date shown on the front of the citation. Failure to do so may result in suspension of your driver’s license, a monetary default judgment(could be sent to collections or be subject to a tax interception), and a late payment fee.
Your citation has a notation that indicates it is either civil or criminal. If you received a criminal citation click here for information regarding your criminal traffic charge(s).
CIVIL TRAFFIC CITATIONS
There are four different options for responding to a civil traffic citation. The date on the citation is the date you must notify the court of which option you are choosing, not the date you will see the judge.
- OPTION ONE: Diversion of Charge
Please see our Defensive Driving School page for information on this option.
- OPTION TWO: Deny Responsibility and Request a Hearing
You may request a hearing by either of the following methods:
- Completing and mailing the form to the court that was provided to you with your citation by indicating the charge(s) you are pleading “not responsible” to.
- Completing and mailing the Civil Traffic Plea form to the court. Be sure to check the box “I deny responsibility”
- You will be notified by mail of your assigned hearing date.
- You must appear on that date and be ready to present evidence and examine witnesses.
- If the defendant fails to appear, a judgment of responsible will be entered.
- OPTION THREE: Pay the Fine
You may admit responsibility by paying the fine and are not required to appear in court. To know the amount of the fine refer to the handout you were given your citation or you may view a copy by clicking here . For information on payment methods or how to request a time payment arrangement click here.
- OPTION FOUR: Request a dismissal of the charge or reduction in penalty.
If your charge is eligible you may request the court to dismiss your charge or reduce penalty. You must complete the Civil Traffic Plea form and submit supporting documentation seven (7) prior to your appearance date on the citation. If your request is not granted, you are still responsible for taking other action on or before your appearance date.